Monday, February 07, 2005

How to compile java programs with SableVM

Q: How to compile java programs with SableVM?



A0: SableVM is a Java Virtual machine, not a compiler...



A1: Under Debian there's a "jikes-sablevm" equivalent of "javac"


command, so you can simply do: $ jikes-sablevm HelloWorld.java


to get your HelloWorld.class file.



A2: In absence of "jikes-sablevm" one should do:


$ export BOOTCLASSPATH=/path/to/sablevm's/libclasspath.jar


and then use jikes directly:


$ jikes HelloWorld.java



A3: IIRC the latest sablevm-svn gentoo packages include JAVA_HOME-like


directory, in /usr/lib/sablevm, so once this package is installed


you can use programs in /usr/lib/sablevm/bin just as in Sun's JDK.




Q: How do I run java programs with SableVM?



A1: The simplest way is to use 'java-sablevm' command which is


parameter-compatible with Sun's 'java' command.



A2: In our SableVM's JAVA_HOME (once you have installed a SableVM


version/package that provides it) you have 'bin/java' command you can


use as in Sun's JDK.




I wish I could give you some URLs, but ATM my inet connection breaks


every few seconds and I'll be lucky if I manage to simply send this


email. I hope others can provide more details and/or corrections.



Hope this helps,



Grzegorz B. Prokopski

No comments: